Words by John Hodgkiss, Erdington BID & Town Centre Manager
With the challenging year which we have all had, it’s that time again when we focus on Christmas and maximising on footfall in Erdington Town Centre throughout late November and December.
The festive period is a crucial time for retail in general, so once again, we want to focus on showing Erdington in its best light and provide family entertainment to increase footfall from the end of November through until New Year.
Erdington’s Christmas Lights will be officially turned on 25 November, on what will be a packed day of entertainment and fun and maybe even a brief visit from Father Christmas himself! From The Salvation Army Band to Bhangra Dancing, there will definitely be something for everyone to enjoy as the festive season kicks off!
Then he will be back on 2 December at his HQ in Erdington Library, with a FREE Santa’s Grotto for Erdington Children, so it’s best to stay on his good list!
Further details of Christmas events through until the day itself will be advertised and posted online throughout the next month.
(Ed’s note… Erdington Local will be publishing a full CHRISTMAS SPECIAL feature on Sunday 12 November, giving you more info on what’s coming to Erdington High Street over the festive season.)
A quick guide to the completely free Christmas Lights Switch On – Saturday 25 November
Check out what will be happening across the afternoon as we countdown to the official Erdington Christmas Lights Switch On. Five, four, three, two, one…
- Completely free and open to all ages
- Live music and dance on the High Street from midday – hosted by BBC WM Breakfast presenter Rakeem Omar
- Salvation Army Band – playing your favourite Christmas carols and traditional winter songs
- The Nitecrawlers playing live rhythm and blues – following on from the success of the Birmingham Jazz and Blues Festival
- Bangra dance for children and adults – from award winning performer and CBeebies presenter, Sohan Kailey
- Come and meet larger than life Pokemon characters – have your picture taken with Pikachu and Alakazam
- A special winter market by the Village Green – outside Oikos Café and The Swan
Watch out for more about the festive fun on Erdington High Street on the Erdington Business Improvement District Facebook page: www.facebook.com/erdingtonBID